Friday, February 17, 2006

Crash

Sandra Bullock (Jean)
I didn't really love Sandra in this film. I guess I found that she was not all that convincing in her role, and by the end when she seems to have had an epiphany and hugs the maid she had belittled throughout the film, it just seems a little too unbelievable.

Matt Dillon (Officer Ryan)
I thought Matt was one of the stars of the film. He did a wonderful job in convincing me he was, as another character described him, a "racist prick". The shame on his face when Thandie Newton's character leaves him after the car wreck is priceless.

Don Cheadle (Graham)
I thought Don was OK, but probably only just OK - nothing special in my mind. I was disappointed a little because I thought he may have shown some great revelation in his character by the end of the film, but to my mind nothing much seemed to happen.

Jennifer Esposito (Ria)
I think Jennifer should have had a bigger role in the film. She only ever seemed to be able to hang off Don Cheadle's character and what he was experiencing. I think Jennifer was good with what she had, but she could have done a lot more.

Brendan Fraser (Rick)
What a dud. I think Brendan is a really bland actor generally, and he was in this film too. To me he still looks like George of the Jungle who has been given a suit and elected DA (not all that hard to believe given a Kindergarton Cop is Governor).

Ryan Philippe (Officer Hanson)
Ryan was for me, the nicest surprise in the film. He did a great job in the role and I think managed to represent the nice guy in all of us who suddenly find themselves having crossed the abyss. I really enjoyed watching the changes that occured for him in this film.

Thandie Newton (Christine)
She was sensational - the scene in the car wreck was simply incredible and I think one that will stick with me in a while. Although seriously, how many cops are there in LA - what are the chances.....

Terence Howard (Cameron)
I am a little on the fence with Terence in this film. I thought the scene where he is 'saved' by Ryan Philippe's character was outstanding. But the rest, well I could take him or leave him. He just was not convincing to me in a role as Hollywood mogul. It was also hard for me to believe he would stand by passively as his wife was being assaulted by the police. Finally, I also can't believe that by the end of the film he would feel connected with a gang of youths so much so that he joins the in burning a car wreck.

No comments: