Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

I went to see this film more because I felt I had to rather than really wanting to. There was so much hype, and I am one of the 40 million or so to have read the book, that I thought I had better be part of it. The film itself is pretty good - great scenery, solid acting, nice special effects, chase scenes - everything you would expect from a Hollywood blockbuster. So why did I find myself looking at my watch about half way into the film and then every 20 mins or so? Because I am one of the 40 million people who have read the book. The film is a solid re-creation of the book, as you would expect, but that means that for anyone who knows the story, there is no suspense. There is no shock when it turns out some of the key characters are bad guys. So I don't know how to recommend this film other than to say if you have not read the book you will probably like it. If you have read the book, don't bother. Stick with your imagination as to what Robert Langdon looks like. I know my version was not Tom Hanks with long hair.

No comments: