Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Brokeback Mountain




Heath Ledger (Ennis Del Mar)
Simply the most incredible, magical, heartbreaking portrayal I have seen in recent times. Heath Ledger is brilliant in this film and the scenes of him breaking down by the lake and then again in Jack's home, are simply divine. I (and the rest of the theatre) had tears streaming down our faces. I think Heath perfectly captured the heart and soul of Ennis and made it look effortless at the same time. It was a joy to watch and I look forward to seeing it again.

Jake Gyllenhaal (Jack Twist)
As if in perfect symmetry, Jake's performance as Jack Twist matched the brilliance of Heath. I have not seen many of Jake's films previously but I want to see all I can now after witnessing his performance in this film. His role in some ways did not allow for the same connection that we seemed to develop with Heath, however due to the magnificence of the film, and the desire to see Ennis and Jack happy, the viewer bond with both was equal.


Michelle Williams (Alma Del Mar)
I don't think I have seen Michelle in anything since her days on Dawson's Creek so this was a lovely surprise! Michelle did a great job in a role that was perhaps more understandable given the time in which the film is set (most women these days would no doubt be a little less patient and forgiving!). Michelle managed to elicit sympathy from the viewer, despite the fact we wanted to see Jack and Ennis together. It was a no-win situation which Michelle portrayed brilliantly.

Anne Hathaway (Lureen Newsome)
I felt a little sorry for Anne in this film. She seemed to have the least sympathetic of the 4 main characters yet despite that, I still felt that she did a great job. I think had it been another film where I was not so swept up in the magnificence of the film I may have been a little more harsh, but in this superb movie she can enjoy the adulation.

No comments: