Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Casanova


Heath Ledger (Casanova)
Oh, Heath. Last week I saw you in Brokeback Mountain at which time you completely moved me from being a former critic to your most ardent supporter. By why did you do this film? It seems such a waste considering what we all know you can do. It is beyond me how agents can recommend this sort of film for an actor wanting to establish themselves in serious films. Nevertheless, there were moments of beauty in your performance, but generally you were let down by a lame script and an equally lacklustre plot. Despite all that, you did grow on me as the film went on and I ended up feeling sorry for you having to act alongside Sienna Miller for reasons listed below.

Sienna Miller (Francesca)
Simply dreadful. I am sorry to be so harsh, but quite honestly, she no sooner inhabited the feminist Francesca role than my grandmother trying to pretend she is Santa Claus. It was pure farce and in no way was I convinced that she was either in love with Casanova at any point, or that she could care less about the trials and tribulations of Venetian women in the 18th century. In fact, watching her on screen made me wonder whether she was daydreaming through her role about what Jude Law may be up to now!

Omid Djalili (Lupo)
What a star - I simply loved him in this film and for me he was one of the few highlights. Perfect comic timing and what seemed like a wonderful rapport with Heath Ledger combined to make him a standout. I hope to see Omid in other films soon.

Jeremy Irons (Bishop Pucci)
I actually really like Jeremy Irons but I feel as though every character he does these days (and for the past 10 years) is the same. Poor Jeremy must be feeling a little type cast as the villian, enforcer, inquisitor... all the same really.

Helen McCrory (Casanova's mother)
Not a huge role, but I have a real soft spot for Helen McCrory (I think since warming to her on North Square). Shame on those casting directors for thinking you could pass as Heath Ledgers mother!!

No comments: