Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Munich


Eric Bana (Avner)
For some reason, and perhaps it is because I can't seem to get his performance as Chopper Reed out of my mind, Eric was less than convincing in this role. He gave a solid performance, and I thought his accent was particularly well done, but he just never seemed to make me believe that he would be someone 2 Army Generals, the Head of Mossad and the Prime Minister would call for tea to provide retribution.

Daniel Craig (Steve)
I have to admit that for a great deal of the movie I wondered two things about Daniel's performance - firstly, why did he need to have such a ridiculous South African accent. Secondly, he does not look anything like I imagine James Bond to be! I was less than impressed by his role in this film. At the end of the film, he just disappeared and that is how I felt his acting was going throughout the movie. A disappearing act.

Ciaran Hinds (Carl)
I don't recall having seen Ciaran in anything before but I thought he was wonderful in this film. He was probably the most convincing of the assasination team and I thought he was very well cast. I really enjoyed his performance and hope to see him in more roles in future.

Mathieu Kassovitz (Robert)
This character reminded me of the token 'goofball' in WW2 escape movies - the one who means well but always bumbles along and is saved by his hero mates. I was not sure whether it was the acting or the script, but for some reason this character just did not seem to work. Why would an organization like Mossad spend millions on funding this kind of operation, but recruit a bomb dismantler rather than a bomb maker? And why did the bombs have to be so elaborate - making them border on the ridiculous?

Hanns Zischler (Hans)
Solid job but not sure what he did in the group or why he was there. Enough said?

Geoffrey Rush (Ephraim)
I wanted to love Geoffrey Rush in this film since I am a fan generally, but I could not help but find him a little irritating. Perhaps it was the accent, or perhaps it was the constant high anxiety levels, but he almost seemed to over-act the role. Unfortunately I was a little disappointed but I am sure he will turn it around in his next performance.

Ayelet Zurer (Avner's wife)
What a beautiful, natural actor. I have not seen her in anything before but I thought she was outstanding in this role. I am not sure many wives would have been as patient, and she ended up in Brooklyn with nary a whine, but I thought she did well. And she survived what I can only describe as a rather bizarre sex scene at the end of the film so she gets full points from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with you at all about Eric Bana's performance. I think he was amazing in Munich and really showed his depth as an actor. Certainly an improvement from The Hulk.