Wednesday, March 15, 2006

A History of Violence

Viggo Mortensen (Tom)
For some reason this performance reminded me of Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain - possibly because there was not copious amounts of dialogue yet Viggo still managed to convey the stress, panic and desperation of unfolding events on this characters life. I loved that the film started with such a sense of calm and ended on that note as well while the audience knows perfectly well that the violence in the title is just below the surface on both occasions. Viggo's character carries that calmness and facade throughout the movie, releasing it only in during periods of violence and sex. Whilst the subject matter could have been over the top, I think Viggo ensured that it was much deeper than that.

Maria Bello (Edie)
I really like Maria Bello (although I can't get her ER days out of my mind). I thought she did a good job (and she was very brave in the two graphic sex scenes) but I did not feel that her reaction to what has happening with her husband was convincing. Surely having 3 men shot dead on your front line would have caused a little more concern about staying in the home. Nevertheless, I thought she was great.

William Hurt (Richie)
I have never really liked William Hurt but I did like him in this film. It is not often you can laugh at a mob scene where 6 or so guys are killed, the mob boss locks himself out of his own house and he then gets shot in the forehead - but nevertheless, William Hurt manages to make it a really memorable and amusing scene.

No comments: