Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Match Point

Jonathan Rhys Meyers (Chris)
I thought Jonathan was wonderful in this role. He managed to nail the slide into obsession perfectly, while always maintaining a facade of respectability and pretence. He truly comes into his own in the final quarter of the film and while at times I felt the storyline surrounding the murders was bordering on melodrama, the character still managed to convince the audience (along with himself) that it was the only option he had. I thought he gave a very thought provoking and convincing performance.

Scarlett Johansson (Nola)
This was the best acting I have seen Scarlett do. She too descends into obsession and desperation, and she does so with sympathy from the audience for her predicament. She is beautiful and tragic and she manages to keep the tension in her performance throughout the film.

Matthew Goode (Tom) and Emily Mortimer (Chloe)
I have listed these two actors together because for me their performances were almost identical in the film. It is difficult to think of one without considering the other. They are merely unsuspecting puppets in the drama that is unfolding between Nola and Chris and they both perform that role very, very well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested