Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Door in the Floor

I have not read John Irving's A Widow for One Year upon which this film is based so I had no knowledge of what the film was about before watching it. In some ways I think that may be an advantage since I kept watching the film unfold with no clear idea of where it was going. I thought it was a really beautiful although also disturbing movie. The characters are all deeply flawed in their own ways but then the tragedy and grief which Marion and Ted have experienced goes someway to explaining (and justifying) their behaviour. The movie is a little slow in places and ends on a flat note given Marion's departure. However I understand that the film is based only on the first third of the novel and I now feel I need to read the book to find out what ends up happening to this tragic family.

No comments: