Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Downfall

I really did not want to watch this film. I have never been a fan of WWII dramas and the thought of watching one with subtitles was a complete turn off. However, I decided to watch it because of the rave reviews I had read and I did think the idea of looking at how Hitler spent his last weeks was interesting. After watching this film, I now feel very ignorant for ever having thought this could be a boring film. It was mesmorizing viewing and a simply incredible, realistic and shocking portrayal of life in Hitler's bunker in Berlin. The scene with Frau Himmler and her children (all six of whom she poisoned) was too much for me to watch by that stage in the film and I had to skip through it. But to have that kind of impact surely indicates the strength of the film generally. I thoroughly recommend this movie - even for those with not the slightest interest in WWII history.

No comments: